Universal Credit & Housing Benefit

You could get financial assistance to pay your rent through Housing Benefit or Universal Credit. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances, you may be entitled to full or partial housing benefit or universal credit housing costs. You can apply for either whether you are unemployed or working.

The amount of you get will depend on your circumstances. These include:

  • Your eligible rent
  • How many people live with you, or as part of your household
  • Your household's income, including benefits pensions and savings your circumstances, for example the age of the people in your home, or if someone has a disability.

Housing Benefit

You claim Housing Benefit through your local council. If you require assistance with making a claim for housing benefit contact the housing team and they can assist where possible or make a referral to an external organisation who will be able to support you.

Universal Credit

Depending on where you live and the level of support that you receive you may have to claim Universal Credit instead.

Universal Credit is replacing Housing Benefit for working age households. You claim Universal Credit through the Department for Work and Pensions. This has to be done online through your Journal.